Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Running from the Monkeys of Madness...

Just yesterday I went on a run that lasted over 100 minutes. Most people would call this crazy. I call it relaxing. There is something peaceful about being with yourself, and being able to face it. I have lots of alone time with all my running. I have to be able to face myself every time that I am alone. This is something that not a lot of people get very often. SO often we occupy our every moment with something. We never have time to just communicate with ourselves.
There was once a time that I talked to a friend of mine. This friend always had a phone on them and was almost always connected to face book. They really NEVER had a moment being alone, and that is because being alone scared them so much. They had become completely accustomed to being with others that they were uncomfortable in their own skin.
When I run alone I am able to be with just myself. There is no one next to me to keep me or stop me from going as far or as short as I want to. If I just sat for 90 minutes then came back, no one would ever know that I did not run.
During my alone time I have to face myself. I have to come to terms with what I believe and why I do certain things. At those times there is no outside source to influence that.
It is just me.
Alone.
When I first started doing this I hated it. It was so boring and I had no one to impress. But after a while I learned something. If you are living your life to impress people, then you are living a lie. It is good to do something that impresses someone, and it is good to be complimented by someone, but that should not be the  whole purpose of all your actions.
I can tell you that after 7 years of being my own training partner that I crave alone time. I love that time that I can have with myself where I can tune out all outside influences and just be who I am. I can be myself and not have to worry about anyone judging me.
My times alone are some of the most cherished times I have.
Don't be afraid to be alone.

2 comments:

  1. Hah, funny. But remember that very soon you won't be alone for TWO WHOLE YEARS. You won't be allowed to go out running by yourself, and getting some solitude can be a challenge. Just being contrary ... ;)

    ReplyDelete